How to Interview a Financial Advisor
Imagine you find yourself with a lot of money. Whether it be the result of work, inheritance, luck. No matter the case, you are here with money in the bank. You know that your next step should be to hire a financial advisor, but how do you find one that is going to act in your best interest.
Doing important research prior to picking your financial planner can save you a lot of trouble in the long run. When choosing your advisor, it is important that you ask questions to get a sense of an advisor’s expertise, incentives, and investing style. These are all important factors when deciding the future of your money.
These are some of the top questions to ask a financial advisor before you decide to hire them:
- What is your firm’s investment philosophy?
- How do you get compensated?
- Are you associated with any brokerages?
- What planning services do you offer?
- What is your approach to investment planning?
- Why do you think I’m a suitable client?
- Can you give me an example of a time you helped a similar client?
- How often will we review our financial plan to ensure progress?
It is imperative that you hire an advisor who is a true fiduciary. Build a strong and open relationship with your financial advisor to ensure that your money is being invested in the best possible way to help you achieve your financial goals.